Friday, July 6, 2007

Thought For Today

Got an outside shielded post or lamp style (covered) light? Stick a compact flourescent light in it. Buy the little, economy, cheap one that buzzes too much, maybe like 13 watts or so. Mine is on about 12 hours a day, maximizing the savings provided while minimizing the color issues some people have with CFL's. Save enough energy, and we have less reason to stay at war. Personally, I like the Sylvania bulbs because they don't buzz and have better color, but for outside it doesn't matter. Plus remember that you won't be changing them as much - so that extra $ you spend on the bulb itself buys you the convenience of not changing your outdoor light several times more. Few things are both economical AND lazy... I also find that it's easier to read by CFL light than regular or flood bulbs.

If you had a 100 watt bulb in there before, you just saved 87% of the energy. Too bad the floodlight versions don't work in many fixtures. ANYWAY, I support our troops, so I'm slowly changing the bulbs out. Tree huggers will tell you it saves with air pollution too, but their sciences aren't sticking with me sometimes, so that would be on top of everything else.

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

you've got my husband convinced. He wants to put them everywhere - I have a place in mind. I don't have much to say because I know I cannot ramble like you - I bow to you king of mumbo jumbo. I love it - and you all.

Stephanie said...

you've got my husband convinced. He wants to put them everywhere - I have a place in mind. I don't have much to say because I know I cannot ramble like you - I bow to you king of mumbo jumbo. I love it - and you all.

Stephanie said...

and apparently I'm still learning how this all works. I'm so technology challenged it isn't funny. Seriously, none of you laugh it is sad. by the way, I did not post this at 3:55 pm, it is actually almost 6 and I must go pick up my favorite step son

Anonymous said...

I do like the flourescent squiggle bulbs...but they also make this horrid buzzing sound...like a hive mind...and all of us are becoming attuned together the longer we listen to the buzzing, barely perceptively flickering light. I am drawn to it. It's blue and cool and there is a wire cage before it and...*gzzzzzzt*