Wednesday, July 4, 2007

New Cars

I have owned several cars: new, used, foreign, domestic, good gas mileage, muscle car, large SUV...

I'll keep the muscle car. It's a piece of history, although not worth much right now, since it's a bit of a sleeper. Here's the problem I have: the EPA says I can't convert it to run on e-85 or ethanol due to pollution laws. Are you kidding me? We pay people LOTS of money to write laws, and the laws they were well paid by us to write now tell me I have to keep it gas, thus polluting MORE and helping people who don't believe in educating the women of their population support themselves.

The small gas-sipper died, leaving me with the SUV, which I would love to sell, given that it served it's purpose for me for the last couple of years. Again, I could buy a converter for ethanol OR e-85 for about $700-$800, legal to buy, illegal to install due to EPA REGS. SO, I emailed my congresspeople, and a couple of out of staters. Only Lugar (out of stater) got back to me within 6 months, asking for what I knew, then his party gets voted out and he is powerless.

CNN - that completely unbiased news-monster that helps us by pre-digesting information we don't want to know about anyway, publishes a "green car" article, stating that the greenest car was a hybrid. WRONG. Tesla Motors is now making electric cars that put both my muscle car AND gas sipper to shame. But since they are backordered and the reporter wasn't invited to drive one, CNN's response was to ignore the technology in their article, Instead focusing on fuel cells and GM's Volt concept car. Still uses gas. Not good enough.

I will wait until Tesla does their White Star $50k electric car, or I hear Mitsubishi or someone else might make one for less. I don't need a new car, even with better gas mileage or cooler styling or roadside assistance or a warning buzzer that my washer fluid is less than 85% full. These things distract me from focusing on the road anyway. I tried to email GM, to ask for an electric car. No email addy. I tried Chrysler. No addy, FORD had an address, but refused to get me to someone who cared enough to tell me why they won't make an electric car - even after I offered to paint my NON-FORD muscle car any color with ford logos all over it and sing their praises at muscle car shows in the area. Yes, I can sing.

So, I am willing to put up with the "humiliation" of driving an electric only car, but when I'm accused of hippyism, I'll be happy to pull out the other car and rev the engine until the jeers turn into choking spasms of pre-pcv fury. Anything to get the money out of the oil companies, terrorists, and gas station attendants, who are an unfortunate casualty of a war they had no part in. Hopefully, they find better jobs.

BTW, anyone know about Ox tractors in Canada? They build an electric only riding lawn tractor. Can't John Deere or Cub Cadet buy them out and have whoever makes regular lawn tractors make some of them to see if they sell?

No comments: