Thursday, July 19, 2007

Just in case anyone has been sleeping under a rock for the last 50 years, let's be clear about some things: People get a lot of money to write laws, and a pittance to enforce them. If we were to pay cops what we pay lawyers, and vice versa, laws would be enforced. Here's the rub: we honestly as a people don't want to enforce them. It's illegal to speed, jaywalk, smoke marijuana in California if you don't have a note... to a state cop, but a fed can still arrest you. No, I've never smoked ANYTHING - being something of a fire hater. It took me 34 years to grill for the first time.
So, the easy distinction is that Aggrivated Murder I is more serious than, say, mitigated not-shoveling-your-sidewalk-for-handicapped-access-just-after-a-snowfall. Yes, that's illegal. Or having a rear bumper that's more than 19 inches off the ground, or whatever. It's like a sport here in the U.S., finding ways to make new laws and sue the pants off of whomever. Then there's class action - which should be abolished. Some group of lawyers in southern IL has a near monopoly on this- my phone company ripped me off and I was sent a letter saying they had settled a class action suit to give me a phone minutes card... which I CAN'T use on my phone, let alone NEED. Maybe I could sell it on eBay, but WAIT. It has my personal info on it!!!! The excuse the lawyers use is "better than nothing". I disagree. the punishment MUST be punishment, not pandering, and needs to make sense, in cases where physical harm isn't done. Maybe create a slow lane for speeders where they HAVE to use it for a set time, hahaha.

So, it's out of control: laws are being written and jails filled with 9 time offenders since we can't jail for the first offense, rather we take money from the offender or remove a driver's liscense creating desperation that might push a borderline person into crime. Then we let politicians rob us blind, lawyers rob us blind, and accountants are paid to make numbers fit into little holes where they don't belong - if they're honest.

How do we expect our government to be fair to others abroad if we aren't all on the same page here at home? Does a law apply to everyone equally? No? Then we can't have it. The lawbooks need a good cleaning, and a consumption tax with nothing else - possibly the fair tax unless we get immigration under control, then a flat tax would work fine. Americans consume. That's what they do best, and we are almost as good as throwing good money after bad money.
Enough for now, I'm sleepy and rambling even more than usual.

No comments: